October 22, 2010

Beginner's Styling the HTML way!


Week 08 Blog:  my experiences of having styled my Web site.

As an exercise for week #08 of Exploring the Internet, the class was asked to experiment with using the Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to style their index.html Web page. We were to add some pizazz, or some flair to our individual index.html Web sites.

I enjoyed the ‘mime’ video, which made this exercise a bit more difficult than the other previous assignments but it was just as fun. The video, although no audio, was clear enough for us, the class, to view and learn.

This week’s #08 CSS assignment proved to be quite challenging yet very rewarding at the end. It took me a while to finally figure out how to set the proper codes for the font styles and font colors that I wanted. In the process, I also learned how to add codes for a few colored lines on my index.html Web site.

I’ve added ‘Index Page’ and ‘Exploring the Internet Web site’ titles to my index.html Web site.

My most frustrating issue with this week’s #08 assignment was working with the index.html Web site’s background codes. I don’t think the CSS is flexible or user friendly. I wanted to incorporate a thumb-sized image as my background, but I found that the codes would not do as I wanted. I did not want any image tiling as a background. I just wanted (1) image to fill my whole background but I could not enlarged the size of my thumb-sized image. Since the background codes wouldn’t work the way I wanted it to, I decided to go with Plan B.

I just strategically placed my thumb-sized image into (3) corners of my index.html Web site, varied the image sizes and blended them into the background color. I know that I may be going a bit ahead of myself by inserting any type of images. Inserting images was not part of this week’s Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) exercise. I just deemed that the images I used were necessary for the background result that I was looking for. Thus I included a few ‘red’ images to give the background the proper ‘special effect’ I wanted.

Only (2) different thumb-sized images were used for my index.html Web site.


I also know that I’ve overdid my index.html Web site with plenty of different colors even though most HTML experts say that it’s ideal to minimize the amount of different colors …also, not to use too much different types/styles of fonts …and last but not least, is to use any lines sparingly (both horizontal and vertical) for any index.html Web site.

I have never have done any sort of HTML before. I didn’t know what HTML stood for until l took this course. I just had an idea and used common sense with the old basic ‘trial and error’ method, when working on my background.

I accomplished what I wanted to do with Plan B, but still, I was quite surprised with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment